On Jun 2, 2011, at 2:18 AM, teriri wrote:

http://r.789695.n4.nabble.com/file/n3567636/ecdfs.jpg ecdfs.jpg
http://r.789695.n4.nabble.com/file/n3567636/ecdf_curve.gif ecdf_curve.gif

Hello,

I have generated a plot of two empirical CDFs (attachment 1). As a result,
they are stepwise when plotted. The following code was used:
plot(ecdf(mut), do.points=FALSE, verticals=TRUE, xlim=range(mut, non),
col="red")
plot(ecdf(non), do.points=FALSE, verticals=TRUE, add=TRUE, col="blue")

But what I need instead are smooth curves, similar to ones that are
generated from a theoretical cdf (attachment 2).

I have looked at so many threads; one suggestion to someone else was to use library(fitdistplot) and look for distributions that may fit (e.g. weibull). But I could really use guidance before spending additional time on this.

Two threads up in the answer to the question "based on mean and std" you might find Ellison's answer useful. You and ter...@gmail.com in the same class?

--

David Winsemius, MD
West Hartford, CT