One thing to keep in mind is the "no side effects" rule in R.  Almost all
variables are copied on assignment/modification.  Of course, there's also
lazy instantiation, so the copy isn't actually constructed unless it needs
to be, but this can impact the expected performance of more complicated data
structures built in pure R.

Jamie Olson
School of Computer Science
Carnegie Mellon University