There aren't a whole lot of more complex data structures available as R
packages.  My impression is that pure R implementation offers
dissatisfactory performance and native (or e.g. java)  implementations end
up inconsistent with R's "no side effects" principles.  I'd suggest building
an R interface to whatever spatial data structures you want, e.g. k-d or
r(+/*)-trees.

Jamie Olson
School of Computer Science
Carnegie Mellon University