Greetings to the help mailing list.
I am in the process of translating a large graphic from xyplot to ggplot2 (13
columns by about rows).
I have been unsuccessful trying to understand how to place the following text
strings after three days of:
* Perusing  Wickham's "gg2plot" book;
* Searching his site for gg2plot and qplot;
* Reviewing the "man pages" for gg2plot;
* Searching the R archives.

Problems are:
* Translate the xyplot statement
   "xlab.top = c("long string",   gpar(fontsize = 10, fontface = "bold  x=0,
y=-1, just = "left"))"
   to add a secondary x-axis to the top of my plot.
   (This may have something to do with "strip.text.x" but I just cannot make
that work.  Trying
      several alternatives I keep getting error messages related to "Error in
grobName(grob, prefix) :
      Invalid 'grob' argument", but "Error in grobName" didn't show up in
searched of the archives.)

* Translate the xyplot statement
   "sub = c("not so long string, gpar(fontsize = 8, fontface = "plain",
x=0.05, y=1, just = "left"))
   to add a "footer" to the plot.

* Split the lattice over multiple pages (each pages having three rows each) as
xyplot allows using
   "layout = c(13,3)"
   (noting the ggplot2 "layout", such as vplayout, seems useful only for
multiple plots on one screen /
      page rather than splitting a single plot over multiple pages.)
   (I could also do this by brute force, if needed.)

My thanks to all,
Guy Jett, R.G.
Project Geologist
ITSI,  A Gilbane Company