> From: rvarad...@jhmi.edu
> To: marchy...@hotmail.com; jmo...@student.canterbury.ac.nz;
> r-help@r-project.org
> Subject: RE: [R] Time-series analysis with treatment effects - statistical
> approach
> Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2011 02:59:19 +0000
>
> If you have any specific features of the time series of soil moisture, you
> could either model that or directly estimate it and test for differences in
> the 4 treatments.  If you do not have any such specific considerations, you
> might want to consider some nonparametric approaches such as functional data
> analysis, in particular  functional principal components analysis (fPCA)
> might be relevant.  You could also consider semiparametric methods. For
> example, take a look at the "SemiPar" package.
>
> Ravi.

I guess just playing with it while waiting for other code to finish, I'd be
curious if you had
any controlled tests such as impulse response- what did treatment do when you
held
at constant temp and humidity and illumination in stll air after single burst
of rain?
If you were pursing the model approach, quick look suggests qualitatitve rather
than
just quantitative effects - in one case looks like linear or biphasic dry out
dynamics, others
seem to just fall off of cliff.

Objective of course matters too, if you are trying to sell this to farmers,
maybe a plot of
moisture for each treatment against control would help. I just did that after
averaging over sensors
and it may be a reasonable analysis for cost effectiveness if you can translate
moisture into
dollars. Now you would still need to put error bars on comparisons and use
words carefully etc
but that approach may be more important than getting at dynamics. I dunno.
Consider that in fact maybe all you care about is peaks, if too dry for one day
kills the crop then that is what you want to focus the analysis on etc etc etc.

Mike Marchywka | V.P. Technology

415-264-8477
marchy...@phluant.com

Online Advertising and Analytics for Mobile
http://www.phluant.com