I use the following function which does not uses loops and seems to be pretty fast:

dmvnorm <- function (x, mu, Sigma, df, log = FALSE) {
    if (!is.matrix(x))
        x <- rbind(x)
    p <- nrow(Sigma)
    ed <- eigen(Sigma, symmetric = TRUE)
    ev <- ed$values
    if (!all(ev >= -1e-06 * abs(ev[1])))
        stop("'Sigma' is not positive definite")
    ss <- if (!is.matrix(mu)) {
        x - rep(mu, each = nrow(x))
    } else {
        x - mu
    }
    inv.Sigma <- ed$vectors %*% (t(ed$vectors)/ev)
    quad <- 0.5 * rowSums((ss %*% inv.Sigma) * ss)
    fact <- -0.5 * (p * log(2 * pi) + sum(log(ev)))
    if (log)
        as.vector(fact - quad)
    else
        as.vector(exp(fact - quad))