Hello Hugo,
Thank you for your reply.
This is a snap shot of what my data looks like:

  Presencebsence
  Habitatype
  Substratetype
  Width
  Banktype
  BankIncline
  Bankheight
  Waterdepth

  0
  Lake
  Rocksgravel
  600
  Earth
  0.45
  less1
  greater2

  0
  Lake
  Rocksgravel
  600
  Earth
  0.45
  less1
  greater2

  1
  Lake
  Rocksgravel
  600
  Earth
  0.45
  less1
  greater2

  0
  Lake
  Rocksgravel
  600
  Earth
  0.45
  less1
  greater2

  0
  Lake
  Rocksgravel
  600
  Earth
  0.45
  less1
  greater2

  0
  Stream
  Rocksgravel
  1
  Rocks
  0.45
  less1
  025to05

  0
  Stream
  Rocksgravel
  1
  Rocks
  0.45
  less1
  025to05

  0
  Stream
  Rocksgravel
  1
  Rocks
  0.45
  less1
  025to05

  0

  Stream
  Rocksgravel
  1
  Rocks
  0.45
  less1
  025to05

I am trying to find out if any off the above factors so substrate type, width,
bank type etc have an effect on the presence/absence of the species in
question.  But as stated below I keep getting an error message up and I have no
idea how to fix it in order for me to fun the lmer.
Sophie