Thanks David for your reply.
You said "a single slope and intercept are estimated for each
variable".Actually I can only get one intercept no matter how many

variables exist,but a slope for each variable.

Since the regression is done via:lm(CD4 ~ time + gender + income)
It seems that the explanatory variable(time) and the two
covariants(gender,income) are treated in the same way,but I think
explanatory variable and covariant should be treated differently although I
don't know how to do it.
Also,they are not both numeric,if gender are F(Female) and M(Male),and
income are L(Low),M(median),H(High).