On 06/28/2011 08:35 AM, Patrick Jemison wrote:
I'd like to create a polar plot similar to those created by the polarFreq
function in the openair package.  However, this package seems to be specific
to wind speed and direction, and requires a "ws" (wind speed) and a "wd"
(wind direction) column.  My data is unrelated to wind speed, but I'd like
to be able to get a plot that does what polarFreq's plots do; I'd like to
have points that expand as their distance from the center increases.

http://www.oga-lab.net/RGM2/func.php?rd_id=openair:polarFreq

Without this property, my plot looks more like spokes on a wheel, or similar
to the polar.plot function in the plotrix package:
http://www.oga-lab.net/RGM2/func.php?rd_id=plotrix:polar.plot

Is there a package or function available that allows the creation of a plot
as described above for a generic set of polar data?  I spent a few hours
today trying to find something I could use, but no luck yet.

I'm using data of the form: x = r, y = theta, and z = a value to plot at the
corresponding r,theta (as a comparison, for the polarFreq plot, z would be
the frequency that is indicated by various colors in the plot).

Hi Patrick,
polar.plot (or other plots in the radial.plot family) currently don't plot sectors or fill the (what the heck is the intersection of a sector and an annulus called?) to illustrate a third value (say, proportion) in addition to direction and intensity. However, it can be done, and I might just have a shot at it if I can scratch up an hour or two sometime in the next couple of years. Well, maybe sooner than that. Look out for "radial.pie".

Jim