hi uwe---thanks for the clarification.  of course, my example should always
be done in vectorized form.  I only used it to show how iterative access
compares in the simplest possible fashion.  <100 accesses per seconds is
REALLY slow, though.

I don't know R internals and the learning curve would be steep.  moreover,
there is no guarantee that changes I would make would be accepted.  so, I
cannot do this.

however, for an R expert, this should not be too difficult.  conceptually,
if data frame element access primitives are create/write/read/destroy in the
code, then it's truly trivial.  just add a matrix (dim the same as the data
frame) of byte pointers to point at the storage upon creation/change time.
 this would be quick-and-dirty.  for curiosity, do you know which source
file has the data frame internals?  maybe I will get tempted anyway if it is
simple enough.

(a more efficient but more involved way to do this would be to store a data
frame internally always as a matrix of data pointers, but this would
probably require more surgery.)

It is also not as important for me, as it is for others...to give a good
impression to those that are not aware of the tradeoffs---which is most
people considering to adopt R.

/iaw

----
Ivo Welch (ivo.we...@gmail.com)