On 04.07.2011 06:56, Simon Knapp wrote:
... I just tried fiddling with the appearance settings, and when I uncheck
"Custom Colors" under "Document Tabs", the file names reappear, though I
don't get the coloring I am used to (red for modified, green for
unmodified).

Right. That is fixed in RWinEdt 1.8-3 (i.e. customm coloring disabled) which has been uploaded to CRAN during the weekend. A Windows binary will be created shortly.

Uwe

Thanks again,
Simon Knapp