On Jul 11, 2011, at 12:08 PM, jeroen00ms wrote:

I am looking for a way to save a plot (graphics contents) to a file after the plot has been calculated but before it has been rendered. More specifically, assume that I made a plot that took a very long time to produce, I would like to save this plot to a generic file that I can later, on a different machine, render to either PDF, PNG, SVG using the usual R graphics devices,
without recalculating the graphical contents.

As a toy example, suppose this is my plot function:

testplot <- function(){
 Sys.sleep(10); #very long and complicated procedure
 plot(cars);
}

> ?Devices
> ?capabilities
> capabilities()
    jpeg      png     tiff    tcltk      X11     aqua http/ftp  sockets
    TRUE     TRUE     TRUE     TRUE     TRUE     TRUE     TRUE     TRUE
  libxml     fifo   cledit    iconv      NLS  profmem    cairo
    TRUE     TRUE     TRUE     TRUE     TRUE     TRUE     TRUE

I have all of the requested capabilities (and more.)

So the use case is that after running testplot() which took potentially 30
days to calculate,

Unfortunately you basically threw away all of the intermediate steps by plot()-ting at the very end, since that function returns NULL. If you had plotted first and then executed return(data_object) and then did no operations, you would be able to capture the last calculation with:

data_object <- .Last.value

Plotting with lattice or ggplot may leave a plot object in the workspace. If done within a function you will need to return it so it doesn't disappear.

I would like to send a file to my colleagues that they
can load in R and send to their png or pdf or svg devices just as if they would have made the plot themselves, without having to re-run the code.

You can also save a data (or function) object to an .Rdata file with save(objname, file="filename.Rdata") and your colleagues could then load("filename.Rdata") in R.

David Winsemius, MD
West Hartford, CT