On 13.07.2011 17:46, Bansal, Vikas wrote:
Dear all,

I have a data frame df and i am using a code shown below.

df[, "total"]<- rowSums(df[, 3:6])          MAKING A NEW COLUMN total in df BY
ROWSUMS

  defineSamples<- function()
  {
  readline("enter the number of INDIVIDUALS IN POOL: ")
  }
df$ind=definesamples()      CALLING THE FUNCTION AND STORING THE INPUT FROM
USER IN NEW COLUMN OF df

This won't work, because

1. defineSamples != definesamples

2. readline returns a character but you expect a numeric value - which is why you get the error message. Just coerce to numeric and implement a careful check if the entered value can be coerced successfully.

Uwe Ligges

df[, 3:6]<- apply(df[, 3:6], 2, function(x) x / df[, "total"] * df[, "ind"] *
2)        APPLYING A MATHEMATICAL FORMULA

I am taking an input from user which is stored in ind column of df.and then i
am applying a formula showed in last line of code.
But it shows this error-

Error in x/df[, "total"] * df[, "ind"]  :
   non-numeric argument to binary operator

but if i am not taking input from user and using straight way this-
df$ind=9
then it is working.

But i want to enter the value of ind from user.Can you please tell me how can i
remove this error.

Thanking you,
Warm Regards
Vikas Bansal