Hello!
It's a shoot in the dark, but I'll try. If one has a total of 100
(e.g., %), and three components of the total, e.g.,
mytotal=data.frame(x=50,y=30,z=20), - one could build a pie chart with
3 sectors representing x, y, and z according to their proportions in
the total.
I am wondering if it's possible to build something very similar, but
not on a circle but in a square - such that the total area of the
square is the sum of the components and the components (x, y, and z)
are represented on a square as shapes with right angles (squares,
rectangles, L-shapes, etc.). I realize there are many possible
positions and shapes - even for 3 components. But I don't really care
where components are located within the square - as long as they are
there.

Is there a package that could do something like that?
Thanks a lot!

-----

I included waffle charts in Creating More Effective Graphs.
The reaction was very negative; many readers let me know
that they didn't like them. To create them I just drew a table
in Word with 10 rows and 10 columns. Then I shaded the
backgrounds of cells so for your example we would shade
50 cells one color, 30 another, and 20 a third color.

Naomi

Naomi B. Robbins
11 Christine Court
Wayne, NJ 07470
973-694-6009

na...@nbr-graphs.com <mailto:na...@nbr-graphs.com>

http://www.nbr-graphs.com

Author of Creating More Effective Graphs
<http://www.nbr-graphs.com/bookframe.html>

//