On 28/07/2011 5:54 PM, Jonathan Callahan wrote:
I have a potential client that is considering R for data analysis and
visualization modules within a larger framework. The host systems run either
Solaris or a version of Linux.

Hopefully this client will respect the R license, and license their larger framework in a compatible way.

One of their requirements (hard or soft?) is that each module in the
framework be compiled with statically linked libraries into a standalone
binary that can be run from the command line.

I intend to recommend using R for many of their analytical components. I
will recommend setting up a full R environment and packaging up new
functionality for easy deployment. Then they can simply use R in batch
mode:  R --vanilla<xyz.r>  xyz.out

But if they insist on only using modules that are stand-alone, statically
linked binaries I will need answers to the following questions:

1) Are the distributed R binaries statically linked?

I think this depends on the target platform, but clearly the answer is: just look at the one that interests you.

2) Is the R code that runs in batch mode statically linked? (i.e. Will it
break depending upon what shared libraries are installed?)

It will be the same as the rest of the install.

3) Is it possible to create a statically linked R that can be run "in batch
mode"?

I believe so.

4) If not, how much C (or python? ;-D) code do I have to write to get to the
point of having a stand-alone binary that can follow the instructions in an
R script?

See the "Writing R Extensions" manual chapter on front ends.

Duncan Murdoch