Since I didn't get an answer to this question, I'm rephrasing my question in
simpler terms:

I have  a dataframe and I want to split it based on the levels of one of its
columns, and apply a function to each section of the data. Output of the
function may be drawing a plot, returning  a value, whatever. I want to do
it efficiently though (for loops are very slow).

How can I do that?