Gabe,

Since you didn't provide a small example of your data, I can't test out
your code.  However, I used an example from the ?ordiellipse help page to
draw different colored ellipses (using the show.groups= argument) with
labels (using the label= argument).

Hope this helps.

library(vegan)

data(dune)
data(dune.env)
mod <- cca(dune ~ Management, dune.env)
attach(dune.env)

plot(mod, type="n")
points(mod, display="sites", pch=as.numeric(Management),
col=as.numeric(Management))
groupz <- sort(unique(Management))
for(i in seq(groupz)) {
        ordiellipse(mod, Management, kind="se", conf=0.95, label=T,
font=2, cex=1.5, col=i, show.groups=groupz[i])
        }

Jean

Jean V. Adams
Statistician