Anthony,

See ?make.names for a description of valid names.  Here's an excerpt:

"A syntactically valid name consists of letters, numbers and the dot or
underline characters and starts with a letter or the dot not followed by a
number. ... The character "X" is prepended if necessary."

There is an argument in read.csv() called check.names.  Try setting this
to FALSE and see if that works.

read.csv(file="Something.csv", check.names=F)

Jean

Jean V. Adams
Statistician
U.S. Geological Survey