R version 2.13.1
OS X (or Windows)

Colleagues,

I received a number of files with a .xls extension.  These files open in XL
and, by all appearances, are XL files.  However, it appears to me that the
files are actually XML:

> readLines(dir()[16])[1:10]
 [1] "<?xml version=\"1.0\"?>"

 [2] "<Workbook xmlns=\"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:spreadsheet\""

 [3] " xmlns:o=\"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office\""

 [4] " xmlns:x=\"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:excel\""

 [5] " xmlns:ss=\"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:spreadsheet\""

 [6] " xmlns:html=\"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40\";>"

 [7] " <DocumentProperties xmlns=\"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office\">"

 [8] "  <Version>12.0</Version>"

 [9] " </DocumentProperties>"

[10] " <OfficeDocumentSettings
xmlns=\"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office\">"

 I had initially tried to read the files using read.xls (gdata) but that failed
(not surprisingly).  I could open each Excel file, then "save as" csv, then use
read.csv.  However, there are many files so I would love to have a solution
that does not require this brute force approach.

Are there any packages that would allow me to read these files without the
additional steps?

Dennis

Dennis Fisher MD
P < (The "P Less Than" Company)