The labels can contain much more than just names. In my case, they are variable
descriptions (items from a questionnaire). I need to keep the names as they
are, hence the need for Hmisc's labels.

On Mon, Aug 15, 2011 at 3:53 PM, Monsieur Do <nonaupourr...@yahoo.ca> wrote:
> I have a dataset and a list of labels. I simply want
to apply the labels to the variables, all at once. The only way I was able to
do it was using a loop:

>     for (i in
1:length(data))  label(data[,i]) <-
data.labels[i]

> I'd like to find the non-loop way to do it, using
apply or the like... Any help appreciated.

Would you not be better off with names()?

> data <- 1:10
> data.labels <- letters[1:10]
> names(data) <- data.labels
> data
 a  b  c  d  e  f  g  h  i  j
 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 10

What are you trying to do with label() that names()
doesn't accomplish?

--
Sarah Goslee
http://www.functionaldiversity.org