Yes. The xCDF/yCDF objects that are returned by the ecdf function can be
called like functions.

For example:

x = rnrom(50); xCDF = ecdf(x); xCDF(0.3)
# This value tells you what fraction of x is less than 0.3

You can also assign this behavior to a function:

F <- function(z) { xCDF(z) }

F does not inherit xCDF directly though and looses the step-function-ness of
the xCDF object. (Compare plots of F and xCDF to see one consequence)

So yes, you can do subtraction on this basis

x = rnrom(50); xCDF = ecdf(x); Fx <- function(z) { xCDF(z) }
y = rnrom(50); yCDF = ecdf(x); Fy <- function(z) { yCDF(z) }

F <- function(z) {Fx(z) - Fy(z)}
# F <- function(z) {xCDF(z)-yCDF(z)} # Another way to do the same thing

Hope this helps,

Michael