Hi all,

I have a data set that looks a bit like this.

feed1
      RFU Site Vial Time       lnRFU
1   44448    1    1   10  10.702075
2   47521    1    1   20  10.768927
3   42905    1    1   30  10.66674
4   46867    1    1   40  10.755069
5   42995    1    1   50  10.668839
6   43074    1    1   60  10.670675
7   41195    1    1   70  10.626072
8   47090    1    2   10  10.759816
9   48100    1    2   20  10.781037
10  43215    1    2   30  10.673943
11  39656    1    2   40  10.587998
12  38799    1    2   50  10.566150
13  38424    1    2   60 10.556438
14  35240    1    2   70  10.469937
15  46427    1    3   10  10.745636
16  46418    1    3   20  10.745443
17  42095    1    3   30  10.647684
There are 5 columns of data, three levels of "Site", 10 "Vials" per site,
and measurements were taken at 10 min intervals from 10-70.. I am primarily
interested in the relationship between "Time" and "lnRFU" to calculate the
rate at which lnRFU declines over time. I have a nice plot using a ggplot2
code that looks like this

p<-ggplot(data=feed1,aes(x=Time,y=lnRFU))
p+geom_point(size=4)+facet_grid(Site~Vial)+geom_smooth(method="lm")

The graph is useful to visualize the changes over time and grouped by both
Site and Vial, but I also need the slopes of the linear regressions for each
Vial, within a Site. This is where I run into a problem. I want to run a
linear regression of lnRFU as a function of Time grouped by both Site and
Vial. Its easy to visualize this comparison in ggplot using facet_grid(),
but I'm not sure how to do a similar comparison/analysis within lm()

I imagine something like

fit<-lm(lnRFU~Time | Vial * Site, data=feed1)

 in which I group by both Vial and Site, but obviously this code doesn't
work. Does anyone have an idea for how to do a linear regression with two
grouping variables? Do I have to go back and combine Vial and Site into a
single grouping variable or can I leave the dataframe the way it is? I'm
trying to imagine a means of accomplishing the same type of thing that
facet_grid does when it allows you to plot the data as a function of two
"grouping" variables.

Thanks for you time. I greatly appreciate it.

Nate Miller