On Aug 25, 2011, at 11:23 AM, Sébastien Vigneau wrote:

Hi,

I would like to add a two-lines label consisting of:
"Delta word1\n
word2"
(with Delta being the actual greek letter).

But you are not saying how word1 and word2 are supposed to be positioned relative to each other and to Delta.

However, when I try "expression(paste(Delta,"word1\nword2"))", I obtain the
following display:
"word1\n
Delta word2".

Do you have any idea on how to obtain the desired display?

\n does not get interpreted in plotmath expressions [as the help(plotmath) page states explicitly], but as your example shows [to my complete surprise] if you have then inside text they will get interpreted . Take a look at atop() and over().

Perhaps:

plot(1,1,main=expression(over(Delta~word1, word2)))

If you don't mean the ratio of change in word1 per word2, then this also gives another possible answer to your vague question.

expression(atop(Delta~word1, word2))

and yet a third:

plot(1,1,main=expression(Delta~over(word1, word2)))

By the way the paste is entirely unneeded there. Using * and ~ as connectors helps keep these expression more readable. Comma then separate arguments for "important" plotmath functions.

--

David Winsemius, MD
West Hartford, CT