Carole:

If you really need to install R from source you probably need to do:

    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install libx11-dev

before you do your ./configure and make.

If you just want to install the binary, you could try

    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install r-base r-base-dev

(Well, that seems to work for me!  It's kind of a magic incantation from
my pov; don't really know what I'm doing. :-) )

HTH

    cheers,

        Rolf Turner