Hi,

If you read carefully the help pages for read.table you get this:

na.stringsa character vector of strings which are to be interpreted as
NA<../../utils/help/NA> values.
Blank fields are also considered to be missing values in logical, integer,
numeric and complex fields.

So, both NAs and blank fields are considered as NAs directly by read.table.

Once you have imported your data, you can modify with any of the string
manipulation functions (sub() or gsub()) to change your "#DIV/0!" to the
string "NAs". Another option is to manipulate your Excel file and consider
the division by cero with a "IF" and get back a NA if that happens.

And finally, instead of using na.omits use option na.rm=T to get done your
calculations:

> mean(c(12,23,24,45,67,NA), na.rm=T)[1] 34.2

Regards,
Carlos Ortega
www.qualityexcellence.es