Your code works fine -- the warning message is just a heads up that the
object z/eta (which has length 111) does not quite match up with 1-h which
has length 10: usually this is a sign that the user defined something
improperly so R gives you a nice warning, but it doesn't halt the
calculation.

As to what you mean about your metric not being created -- if it's "R" (odd
choice for a variable name given your platform) it sure seems to
exist....especially since you just gave us 111 values for it.

Though I think you don't know what you mean by "[the] function R". Perhaps
you should read about how user defined functions are set up in R (the
fantastically useful insightful warning message giving language):
http://www.statmethods.net/management/userfunctions.html

Michael Weylandt