Wow,
thanks a lot for your quick replies and useful comments.
Indeed, Sarah's advice does the job perfectly.
I wish to thank you all also for your advices on how to shift from a Stata
mindset to  an R one (which is currently my main obstacle).
Best,
f.

On 18 September 2011 20:07, R. Michael Weylandt
<michael.weyla...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Furthermore, if you want to add lines to a plot, I'd advise against the
> curve() function, rather use lines() to add lines (or points() for, well,
> points) on a plot.
>
> E.g.,
>
> x <- seq(0,10,by=0.025)
> y <- sin(x)
> y2 <- cos(x)
>
> plot(x,y,type="l",col="red4",lwd=3)
> lines(x,y2)
>
> curve() wouldn't work for this
>
> Michael
>
> On Sun, Sep 18, 2011 at 1:23 PM, Patrick Burns
> <pbu...@pburns.seanet.com>wrote:
>
>> Sarah has told you how to get from where
>> you are to where you want to be.
>>
>> However, it is easier to start somewhere
>> else.  The more "R" way to do what you are
>> doing is to use a list to put the results
>> of your regressions into.  It is then very
>> easy to use that list, and it is easier to
>> keep track of.
>>
>> The two documents mentioned in my signature
>> may help you get up and running in R.  Since
>> you are coming from Stata, you should also
>> look at http://r4stats.com
>>

>> On 18/09/2011 17:05, Francesco Sarracino wrote:
>>
>>> Dear all,
>>>
>>> I am a stata user and I am moving my first steps in R.
>>> I am dealing with a silly issue concerning looping over variables. I read
>>> find a
>>> solution.
>>> Here is my case:
>>>
>>> I run a simple bivariate linear regression saving the output in objects
>>> called: pd.memb.0, pd.memb.1, pd.memb.2, pd.memb.3
>>>
>>> pd.memb.0<- lm(E.fs.memb ~ M.fs.memb, data, subset = (tag2 == 1))
>>> pd.memb.1<- lm(E.fs.memb ~ M.fs.memb, data, subset = (M.fs.memb<=
>>> quantile(M.fs.memb, .25)&  tag2 == 1))
>>> pd.memb.2<- lm(E.fs.memb ~ M.fs.memb, data, subset = (M.fs.memb>
>>> quantile(M.fs.memb, .25)&  M.fs.memb<= quantile(M.fs.memb, .75)&  tag2 ==
>>> 1))
>>> pd.memb.3<- lm(E.fs.memb ~ M.fs.memb, data, subset = (M.fs.memb>