Roger:

1. Constrain how? Via a penalty? Via a linear or nonlinear equations or
inequalities on the coefficients? You need to be explicit.

2. The above point and:

I started with the example, but I think my data is more Gaussian than
> binomial.  This returns the following errors.
> --

both indicate to me that your math/statistical skills may be inadequate for
the task. As a result, I think you would do well to consult a local
statistician -- or someone with adequate statistical background in this
area,anyway. Good people on this list may offer advice, but you may be
heading down the wrong path and thereby committing errors of the third kind
(right answer to wrong question).

Cheers,
Bert

"Men by nature long to get on to the ultimate truths, and will often be
impatient with elementary studies or fight shy of them. If it were possible
to reach the ultimate truths without the elementary studies usually prefixed
to them, these would not be preparatory studies but superfluous diversions."

-- Maimonides (1135-1204)

Bert Gunter
Genentech Nonclinical Biostatistics
467-7374