If you are running Windows it may be as simple as using memory.limit() to
allow R more memory -- if you are on another OS, it may be possible to get
the needed memory by deleting various things in your workspace and running
gc()

Of course, if your computer's memory is <3GB, you are probably going to have
trouble with R's keeping all objects in memory and will have to get more
creative.

Michael