Hi Mike,

On Mon, Oct 3, 2011 at 12:31 PM, Mike Pfeiff <mi...@kfoc.net> wrote:
> I am very new to R and have been struggling trying to read a basic ".csv"
> file from a password protected site with the following code:
>
> myURL
> ="http://www.frontierweather.com/degreedays/L15N15PowerRegionAverages_10weeks.txt";
> test2=read.table(url(myURL),header=TRUE,sep=",")

> A 'data.frame' is returned into the workspace, however it is not the data
> contained in the ".csv" file.   I think this occurs because the website where
> I am trying to retrieve the data is password protected.
>
> Is there a way to specify the username and password?

I'd try first
read.table("http://userid:passw...@my.url/file.csv";), which is the
standard way to do it (hint: try that form in your web browser and see
whether you can access the data), and if that doesn't work look into
the RCurl package. The list archives have a fair bit of information on
this topic.

Sarah

--
Sarah Goslee