On 12/10/11 09:11, flokke wrote:
Dear all,
Sorry to bother you with such a stupid question, but I just cannot find the
solution to my problem.

I'd like to use matrix multiplication for meanA and factorial 3.
I use the command meanA%*%factorial 3.
But everything I get is: Error in factorial3 %*% A : non-conformable
arguments

I know that the number of the columns of the first vector
    first ***MATRIX***
has to be the same
number of rows of the
second vector
    second ***MATRIX***
to be able to use matrix multiplication, but that is the case
here.
    No it isn't!!!  Your ``factorial3'' has ***one*** row, and
    ``meanA'' has ***two*** columns.  So the arrays are
    not conformable, just like the error message says!

    There are three sorts of people; those who can count,
    and those who can't!
I also tried it with
two columns for factorial 3 and that didnt work either.

    Try it with two ***rows*** for factorial3!!!

    And watch those spaces in names.  They don't belong.
Can someone help me out with this?'

these are my matrices:

meanA
[1,] 3.666667 4.666667

factorial3
      [,1]
[1,]    1

To repeat:  (1 x 2) times (1 x 1) doesn't work.
Note that (n x 2) times (2 x m) *does* work, and gives an (n x m) result.

    cheers,

        Rolf Turner