On 13.10.2011 18:28, Matt Shotwell wrote:
Would it be worthwhile to update the read.spss implementation using the
more recent discoveries from the PSPP group?

If there are important features, I think so. Getting code into foreign is not too trivial. Smaller changes are more likely to be accepted than a re-implementation which would need really careful and extensive tests. Note also this won't resolve the underlying problem I described in my last message.

> I don't mean to copy their code;

Iff the code is reasonable, why not talk to the PSPP people, take the code and adapt it, given it is GPL'ed.

but to use the ideas in their code. Is anyone working on this? I
wouldn't want the effort to be duplicated.

Not that I know, at least.

Best,
Uwe Ligges