On Mon, 31 Oct 2011, Justin Haynes wrote:

However, the dcast calls that "failed" can be helpful for determining the
source of your error.  I'd look at the outputs of those two dcast calls
and find cells where the length is > 1.  Those are duplicated entries in
your initial data.frames (when I've run into this is was usually due to NA
values somewhere unexpected).

Justin,

  I'll have to dig in the docs to see how to examine specific rows in the
original data frames because I cannot find where duplicate entries were
generated.

  In the dcast() results for the two problem data frames I found 1 row with
a value of 2 in one and 8 rows each with a value of 2 in the other. When I
look at the original database table, only one row is present for each of the
9. There are about 47.5K rows in the original R data frame so going through
them one at a time is a problem.

  Have you any suggestion on how to examine the data frame and the melted
data frame to see where the problems might be?

Thanks,

Rich