Hi,

Sorry i have put such a detailed question to the list about writing a shapefile
with projection. I realized that if i use writeOGR from rgdal and not the other
write shapefile functions i can get a shapefile with projection recognized by
ArcGIS. The command is (in case anybody wonders):

?writeOGR(crest.sp, "I:\\LA_levee\\Shape", "llev_crest_pts6", driver = "ESRI
Shapefile")

where crest.sp is a spatial point data frame with projection.

Thanks,

Monica

Indeed.

writePointsShape() does not write the projection file, but using the function showWKT from rgdal, you can also create one like that:

writePointsShape(crest.sp,"crest")
cat(showWKT(proj4string(crest.sp)),file="crest.prj")

Patrick