It looks like pdf is not a "scalar" (that term actually has no meaning in R but
I know what you mean) but is rather a 1x1 matrix, as attested by the fact it
has dimensions. If you give dnorm() a matrix it will return one, as it did
here.

Perhaps you should look at the is.matrix() and as.vector() functions rather
than abusing a side-effect of c(), which makes it much more difficult to see
R's internal logic, which, while quirky, is useful at the end of the day.

Michael

PS - It's good form to cc the list at each step so others can follow along and
contribute when I say something wrong. It also helps you get quicker answers.