Dear all,
I am aiming to calculate variograms using variogram() from gstat.
The problem is that some of my data-sets are very large (> 400000 points).
Running the command takes some hours of time and does not give any
error-message.
Nevertheless the result seem not to be appropriate - the first few bins
are ok (up to a distance of about 300) but then it gains lags which are
much larger than the spatial extent of the data and the bins are not
continuous any more. Running the code on smaller areas gives correct
results.
That's why I think that the problem is the memory.

I am running the code with R 2.10.1 on a linux grid (Intel(R)Core(TM)
i7-2600CPU@3.40GHz; 32 bit).

So my questions:
- is there a better way to calculate variograms with such large data
sets or do I have to reduce the data?
- Could parallel computation (on multiple cores) be a solution? And if
yes, how could that be done?

Here is the code I am using:
"scans" is a 3 column vector containing x, y, and z values resulting
from a high resolution (1 m) digital elevation model. The extent of the
data is about 600*600 m, the

#define 50 bins log-scaled and with a maximum of 600
x = seq(1,50,1);
a = exp(log(600)/50);
logwidth = a^x;

#variogram
coordinates(scans) = ~V1+V2;
v = variogram(V3~1, scans,  boundaries = logwidth);

Thank you very much,
Tom

--
Thomas Grünewald
WSL Institute for Snow and Avalanche Research SLF