On Nov 28, 2011, at 1:22 PM, alison korte wrote:

If I want to create a heat map where I have a graphic of a US State with county borders, how do I import and work with the graphic image? The reason I would like to use R is so I can then define color parameters and quickly produce heat maps that correspond to various data in dataframes.

You should be searching on the term "choropleth map". Or to give google better directions use:

choropleth map r:language

The are quite a few examples in the archives, on the web, and in various geospatial packages. Happy searching.

--

David Winsemius, MD
West Hartford, CT