try this:

> match(x$Name> x <- read.table(text = "Name - Value
+ A - 400
+ A - 300
+ B - 200
+ B - 350
+ C - 500
+ C - 350
+ D - 450
+ D - 600
+ E - 700
+ E - 750
+ F - 630
+ F - 650", header = TRUE, as.is = TRUE)
> map <- data.frame(key =   c("A", "B", "C", "D", "E", "F")
+                 , value = c( 1,   1,   2,   2,   3,   3)
+                 , stringsAsFactors = FALSE
+                 )
> x$ID <- map$value[match(x$Name, map$key)]
   Name X. Value ID
1     A  -   400  1
2     A  -   300  1
3     B  -   200  1
4     B  -   350  1
5     C  -   500  2
6     C  -   350  2
7     D  -   450  2
8     D  -   600  2
9     E  -   700  3
10    E  -   750  3
11    F  -   630  3
12    F  -   650  3

On Sat, Dec 3, 2011 at 7:06 AM, Sarah Goslee <sarah.gos...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I doubt your data frame looks like that, with all the -, but regardless you
> can use ifelse() to construct your column.
>
> Sarah
>
> On Saturday, December 3, 2011, syrvn <ment...@gmx.net> wrote:
>> Hello!
>>
>> I have a data.frame which looks like:
>>
>> Name - Value
>> A - 400
>> A - 300
>> B - 200
>> B - 350
>> C - 500
>> C - 350
>> D - 450
>> D - 600
>> E - 700
>> E - 750
>> F - 630
>> F - 650
>>
>> I want to add another column where all A,B should get an index 1, all C,D
> an
>> index of 2 and all E,F an index of 3 so that the data.frame looks like:
>>
>> ID - Name - Value
>> 1 - A - 400
>> 1 - A - 300
>> 1 - B - 200
>> 1 - B - 350
>> 2 - C - 500
>> 2 - C - 350
>> 2 - D - 450
>> 2 - D - 600
>> 3 - E - 700
>> 3 - E - 750
>> 3 - F - 630
>> 3 - F - 650
>>
>> My data.frame is quite big so I cannot add all values by hand.
>>

>> Cheers
>>

>> --

> Sarah Goslee
> http://www.stringpage.com