Emma,

If you haven't spent much time on the r-help forums, please do read the
posting guide.

You need to provide reproducible examples for us to help you.

We don't know anything about your data...

what is event.details, (if you can't provide the data often ?str will do)

since I don't know what event.details is, I can't figure out waht the line:

obs = (1:133429)[event.details[,2] == i]

is supposed to do.

But if I had to guess... ?sample says it expects the first argument as a
vector.  I assume obs is not a vector but a larger structure?

Feel free to post more info about your data (see ?str and ?dput) or if you
can generate made up data that replicates your problem that works too.

Justin