On Fri, 9 Dec 2011, Natalie Franklin wrote:

Hi All,

I need to fit a mutlivariate normal model to a dataset in order to obtain the mean and covariance parameters. I see that the MVN function in the MCLUST package can do this, however when I try to run even the simplest example provided in the documentation, as below, I get the following error:

n <- 1000
set.seed(0)
x <- rnorm(n, mean = -1, sd = 2)
mvn(modelName = "X", x)

Error in .Fortran("mvn1d", as.double(data), as.integer(n), double(1),  :
 Fortran symbol name "mvn1d" not in DLL for package "mclust"

I cannot see a resolution to this in the list, and wonder whether I need to load something else separately to the package? Could it be that I need to load a separate DLL?

Please the footer of this message. It works for me, and we need the 'at a minimum' information we asked for to begin to guess what might be wrong for you.

However, this is pretty much overkill: there is nothing 'mutlivariate' about your example, and even if there were mean() and var() give the standard parameter estimates.

Many thanks for your help.
Natalie

(PhD Student in Medical Statistics at Reading University)

Brian D. Ripley,                  rip...@stats.ox.ac.uk