On 2011-12-12 0:00, David Winsemius wrote:

On Dec 11, 2011, at 10:27 AM, Jinsong Zhao wrote:

Hi there,

I hope to modify values in a vector or matrix in the following code:

for (i in 1:9) {
assign(paste("a.", i, sep = ""), 1:i)
get(paste("a.", i, sep = ""))[i] <- i+50
}

Just one matrix? Then you seem to have inappropriately borrowed using
"." as an indexing operation. In R that is just another character when
used as an object name. "a.1" is notgoing to evaulate to a[1]. Look at
what you would have had after

 > for (i in 1:9) {
+ assign(paste("a.", i, sep = ""), 1:i)
+ }
 > ls()
[1] "a" "a.1" "a.2"
[4] "a.3" "a.4" "a.5"
[7] "a.6" "a.7" "a.8"
[10] "a.9"

 > a.1
[1] 1
 > a.2
[1] 1 2

Each of those assign() operations created a single vector of length i. I
doubt that was what you intended,

yes, it was what I intended.

Better would be to describe your objects and your intentions, rather
than expecting us to understand your goals by just looking at code that
doesn't achieve thos goals. (There is no `get<-` function which was the
source of the error.)

The question is why

get(paste("a.", i, sep = ""))[i] <- i+50

give the following error message:

Error in get(paste("a.", i, sep = ""))[i] <- i + 50 :
  target of assignment expands to non-language object

The a.1 to  a.9 was created in the previous step.

if only

get(paste("a.", i, sep = ""))[i]

can give correct output. Why I cannot assign values to it?

Regards,
Jinsong