The R function hclust is used to do cluster analysis, but based on R
help I see no way to print the actual fusion distances (that is, the
vertical distances for each connected branch pairs seen in the cluster
dendrogram).

Any ideas? I'd like to use them test for significant differences from
the mean fusion distance (i.e. The Best Cut Test).

To perform a cluster analysis I'm using:

x <- dist(mydata, method = "euclidean") # distance matrix
y <- hclust(x, method="ward") #clustering (i.e. fusion) method
plot(y) # display dendogram

Thanks,
kbrownk