On 11-12-13 5:16 AM, Ronaldo Reis Júnior wrote:
Hi,

I have a R package with some functions made all of then only with R
code. I use the command R CMD build to build a package that I can
install on linux, windows or mac, because all the code is only R code.
But I have some problems with R version. For each new R version I need
to rebuild the package to be install in this new version. It is possible
to make a package without this R Version dependence? I know that in a
little cases I need to adapt my package when R change some of this basic
functions, but it is very rare.

Any idea? Is only a tag to put on my package? Or this is the correct
way, maintain the R version dependence?

In most cases a tarball built with an older version of R will be usable in a newer version without any problem.

Older versions may not be able to handle a tarball from a newer version, but I can't remember the last time we made changes big enough for that to happen.

Perhaps you are doing a binary build (e.g. a .zip file in Windows)? Those are tied to specific versions; the source builds generally are not.

Duncan Murdoch