I am trying to connect to an internal database and use the sqlQuery command to
reduce and retrieve data using the following code:

channel <-odbcConnect("some_dsn", uid="", pwd="")
txt<-'SELECT Date, Region, Price FROM TableXYZ WHERE Type="Domestic"'
sqlQuery(channel, cat(txt,"\n"),errors=TRUE,)
close(channel)

However, I get the following error immediately after sqlQuery command:

Error in odbcQuery(channel, query, rows_at_time) :
  'getCharCE' must be called on a CHARSXP

I believe my connection is good because I used the following commands to
successfully view the columns:

sqlColumns(channel, TableXYZ)

There doesn't seem to be much info on "getCharCE" and/or "CHARSXP.  Any
guidance the group could provide this vey new user to R, would be greatly
appreciated