On Wed, 21 Dec 2011, Keith Jewell wrote:

Thanks Uwe,

I was happy that my 2 lines gave what the OP asked for, albeit in a
different order.

My puzzlement arose from Jeff Newmillers comment:
You could read the help for expand.grid very carefully for the answer to
this question.
... which I reas as saying that ?expand.grid would lead to a solution.
I used "[", which I couldn't see suggested on ?expand.grid.
I thought I'd missed a neater solution in the help pages, and hoped someone
could point it out.

Sorry, I jumped the gun. Peter's answer addressed the identical elements issue much more thoroughly than my oblique reference to combn. I just didn't recognize the same-element issue.

Best regards,

Keith Jewell