On Jan 1, 2012, at 5:50 PM, Rich Shepard wrote:

A data frame has one factor, one date, and one numeric column. When I plot
these using the default pch of the open circle (first attachment),

xyplot(TDS ~ sampdate | she.s, data = sheep.cast, main = 'TDS in Sheep
Creek', ylab = 'Concentration (mg/L)', xlab = 'Time')

I see the higher concentration points toward the right on several panels.
But, when I change to using a line type (second attachment),

xyplot(TDS ~ sampdate | she.s, data = sheep.cast, type = 'l', main = 'TDS in
Sheep Creek', ylab = 'Concentration (mg/L)', xlab = 'Time')

the higher concentrations are connected to points far to the left (earlier years). I expected to see a line with a few spikes toward the right sides of
the panels.

 Where do I start to look for the reason for this behavior?

You should look at the structure of your dataset variables and the order in which they occur ... none of which is "visible" in what you have offered.

--

David Winsemius, MD
West Hartford, CT