Dear R users,

I am pleased to announce the release of a new packaged called `bcrm’ (version 0.1), now available on CRAN.

The package implements a wide range of Bayesian continuous reassessment method (CRM) designs to be used in Phase I dose-escalation trials. The package is fully documented and highlights include • A choice of 1-parameter working models or the 2-parameter logistic model. • Bayesian updating performed after outcomes from each cohort of patients becomes available, using exact computation or MCMC methods (via either BRugs or R2WinBUGS). • Full functionality allowing a range prior distributions for the model parameter(s) as well as calculation of standardised doses from prior estimates of toxicity at each dose level • The ability to choose the summary estimate of the posterior distribution used to select the next dose (options are posterior mean or plug-in mean toxicity or a quantile of the maximum tolerated dose (MTD) distribution, as in an EWOC design).
•    Specification of a modified (constrained) or unmodified CRM design.
•    Varying the cohort size
• Plots of the data and estimated dose-toxicity curve after each cohort has been recruited. • Fully integrated simulation code, which returns operating characteristics of the design as output. Alternatively, the user can interactively run the design, specifying doses and outcomes as each new cohort is recruited, as if conducting a trial.

In a future release I hope to allow full loss function based decisions to be made, using toxicity intervals (areas of the posterior distribution).

As this package is new I would appreciate any feedback users have.

Best wishes
Michael Sweeting

Dr Michael Sweeting
MRC Biostatistics Unit