Hi
I have been searching for goodness-of-fit tests (or lack of fit tests) for GAMs
and cannot find anything.
My problem is: after fitting a GAM to mortality data (smoothing crude estimated
rates of mortality - a process called graduation in the actuarial literature),
(1) how to assess the fit of the model with reference to "adherence to data"
for the fitted model (I do not think the "usual" chi-square test is
appropriate), and (2) compare the model to other models (parametric or
non-parametric models).
Could anyone please provide some assistance.
Greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Jacob

Jacob L van Wyk