Hi,

I need to construct a formula programaticly, and pass it to a function such as the linear mixed model lme. The help says it requires "a two-sided linear formula object describing the fixed-effects part of the model" but I do not know how to create this formula. I have tried various things using formula(x, ...), as.formula(object, env = parent.frame()) and as.Formula(x, ...) but I cannot get it to work. Can anyone give me any pointers?

What I want to do is pass particular columns to my mixed model depending on the result of a previous test (anova) in a programatic way. I could use hard coded if statements as in the example below, but I want to be able to do this in a more programatic way. I hope the code below will show what I am trying to do:

Current code:

data=read.csv("dataMini.csv", header=TRUE, sep=",", dec=".")
colnames(data)
library(nlme)

if(weight_significant) {
    if(gender_significant) {
        if(weight_gender_interaction_significant) {
model=lme(test_variable~Genotype + Weight + Gender + Weight*Gender, random=~1|Assay.Date, data, na.action="na.exclude", method="REML")
        } else {
model=lme(test_variable~Genotype + Weight + Gender, random=~1|Assay.Date, data, na.action="na.exclude", method="REML")
        }
    } else {
.... etc

What I want to do:

formulaObject = test_variable~Genotype
if(weight_significant) {
    formulaObject = formulaObject + Weight;
}
if(gender_significant) {
    formulaObject = formulaObject +  Gender;
}
if(weight_gender_interaction_significant) {
    formulaObject = formulaObject +  Weight*Gender;
}
model=lme(formulaObject, random=~1|Assay.Date, data, na.action="na.exclude", method="REML")

This email may have a PROTECTIVE MARKING, for an explanation please see:
http://www.mrc.ac.uk/About/Informationandstandards/Documentmarking/index.htm