Peter and Bert have already made some pertinent remarks. This comment is a bit
tangential,
but in the same flavour. As they note, it is "goodness of fit relative to
what?" that is
important.

As a matter of course when doing nonlinear least squares, I generally compute
the quantity
   [1 - residual_sumsquares/(total sum of squares)].

In linear modelling this is usually called R-squared, but I don't want to
create a
firestorm of complaints by suggesting it be called that here. I'm not doing
anything here
other than a check for silly results. All I'm suggesting is that a comparison
to the model
that is the mean of the variable being fitted is a minimal sanity check. Surely
we should
be able to do better than the mean?  It's saved me from wasting time on several
occasions,
sometimes because the model proposed was really wrong, sometimes because there
was a
nuisance local minimum well away from a solution, and most often due to a silly
typo in
setting things up. And it can usually be computed within a cat() statement.

Best, John Nash